Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Forget-me-not


I'm really trying to stay focused. I suffer from what my friend Denise calls "flight of fancy." There are so many tatting patterns I'd like to try, and I've been reading too many lace knitting blogs for my own good.

But, I do need to finish this edging. It's "Forget-me-not" from A Pattern Book of Tatting by Mary Konior. It's for a bridal hanky for one of our kindergarten teachers. We're having a shower for her in less than two weeks. I'm about half-way finished, but I haven't decided how I'm going to attach it to the hanky yet. I'm using size 20 Flora, which is probably a little heavy for this project. However, the bride-to-be thinks it's beautiful, and that's all that matters to me!

The shuttle is the Tatsy-size shuttle that I commissioned from Grizzly Mountain Arts. I really like the fact that I won't have to add more thread part way through the edging!

The background is a rug that my daughter Carol made for me several years ago. She's working on a wool braided rug for herself, but she needed to make some quick gifts. She's made three of these rugs out of cotton fabric strips. Since Carol refuses to be "drawn to the dark side," she insists that the technique she used is alternative braiding, not crochet! For some reason, braided rugs do not fall under the category of "the dark side" like knitting, crocheting, and tatting do.

10 comments:

  1. Wow you are just tatting away now! Making up for lost time eh? LOL That is a really pretty edging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That edging is so delicate and dainty! Dave says he's happy your Tatsy shuttle is working out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The edging is lovely and I'm sure the bride will be thrilled. You are doing so well! Email me if you want me to tell you how I attach my edging to hankies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the edging. Hint, hint: Mother's Day is coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dark side - that is hilarious. Enjoy your tatting - for me I may do a doily for an exchange due in August and rest my shuttles for my master's semester is beginning next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you are one of the owners of GMA's beautiful shuttles! I have one bobbin-type shuttle bought sometime ago, and have been trying to get more of their shuttles, but prices are sure going up & up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your edging looks beautiful. I think it will look great on the hankie. I did an edging once and just sewed it with sewing thread around the edge of the hanky through the picots of the edging. It's still attached after 15 years. I see your mom likes the edging, too...lol...maybe you'll have to make her one of those Mother's Day coupons that say "Good for one tatted hanky edge." Wadda ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. the shuttle is really neat! They have some really nice stuff over there at Grizzly Mountain Arts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hanky edgings. Eagerly looking forward to seeing this one finished.....(will that help at all with your flights of fancy)?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is such a lovely edging. The bride will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!