Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Shuttle storage



How do you store your shuttles? These are my two shuttle storage boxes. The top one was a birthday present from my sister Janet. She drove down to visit me last night, and we went antiquing today. Janet found a pretty little green vase and a blue and white jar at the first antique store. At the second one, we found this nine drawer chest. All we had to do was buy some felt (blue... my favorite color!) to line the drawers and load it up! The tall case clock in the corner was my 50th birthday present from my parents. The table was my Grandmother Jones's dining room table. I remember when I was little that she and Grandpa Vin would sit on either side of the table without raising either of the dropped leaves. The leaves were only raised if there was company and they needed room for people to sit at the table. Isn't that a funny thing to remember?

The bottom picture is the shuttle storage that my dad made for me for Christmas two and half years ago. Mom and Dad had been up to visit in the summer, and I was showing them my shuttle collection, which was stored in little boxes here and there around the house. Dad had an idea of what he wanted to make, and when we visited them at Christmas I had a wonderful surprise! The top box has a glass cover so that shuttles can be displayed. I change the display around every once in a while. There are five boxes all together, and Dad inlaid little beads to number the boxes one through five. Mom lined each of the boxes, or I guess you could call them trays, with dark green felt... very elegant! I feel lucky to own such a beautiful display piece designed and made by my dad!

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find in the 9 drawer chest. I love it. The one your dad made is priceless! How wonderful. You have lots of nice heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Laura! I was pretty pleased to find this little chest... I was running out of room in my chest from Dad. When I told him I had filled it as soon as we got home, he told me I wasn't allowed to buy any more shuttles... I never did listen very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous of your storage boxes. The one your dad made is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Bonnie! I'm lucky to own such a beautiful piece. It's something I'll always treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful keepsake from your Dad! Not a bad present from your sister either! :) Your home looks so warm and cozy! I love your walls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm, I didn't see any mention of how many shuttles you own. Is it a secret? Those chests are really nice. The one from your Dad is a really nice keepsake. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jo and Dave! The blue-stained knotty pine on the walls was Dave's idea. We always wanted to live in a log home, but couldn't afford it. Dave has slowly been transforming our home over the past 5 years. By the time he finishes, it should be about time for us to retire! ; )

    Jeff, I'll have to count my shuttles... I know it's over 100! Maybe I'll be able to round them all up and count them now that I have adequate storage. I've heard that there are new colors of the SewMate shuttlles coming out, as well as SewMates without points... I'm pretty sure I'll be adding some of those to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your shuttle storage is wonderful! I am so glad you have such a precious memento from your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those chests you have for storage of shuttles. The one done by your father looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Over 100? That's a lot of shuttles. I hope they come out with a blue SewMate. No points would be nice; I have battle scars from my current SewMates.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!