Monday, November 10, 2008

Seaweed Spinning Wheel


I finally finished another Spinning Wheel glass mat from Mary Konior's Tatting with Visual Patterns! This one is in Sherry Pence's (LadyShuttleMaker) Seaweed, size 20. One more Spinning Wheel to go, and I'll have met my goal for tatted Christmas presents!

The last couple of weeks have just zipped by! I've had very little time to read blogs and post comments, so I've mainly been reading. The creativity I've been seeing is amazing!

So, what's been keeping me so busy? Well, I've been working on a baby blanket for our new kindergarten teacher. I finished it last night... the shower's this Wednesday! It's just a flannel blanket with a crocheted edging, but I can't seem to crochet as quickly as I used to, or for as long a time.

This past weekend was the middle school production of Disney's Alice in Wonderland Jr., directed by my daughter Carol. While I didn't have much to do with the play itself, I did have a minor role in working on costumes (sewing on ribbons, cutting strips of fabric, repairing torn props). I also went shopping for props with Carol. She has such wonderful ideas, and some of the items she wanted for props were a challenge to find! My favorite was the teapots for the Mad Hatter's tea party. We finally found a Mrs. Pots tea set (Mrs. Pots from Beauty and the Beast). Of course I had to attend all three performances this weekend, which severely cut into my tatting time! I was supposed to take pictures, but I forgot my camera each time we headed into town.

It looks like the cold weather is here to stay in the Chicago area. Thank goodness! The weather changes wreak havoc with my sinuses. I may have to move to Alabama to be near Mom and Tattycat to preserve my poor head! The worst times seem to be when I can see a heavy bank of clouds headed our way. As the clouds move closer, the pressure in my head gets stronger, usually accompanied by intense pounding. I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences this phenomenon, and it sure isn't pleasant!

We have no school tomorrow in honor of Veterans Day. I have so much to catch up on. Where will I begin?

7 comments:

  1. Hope your sinuses feel better now!
    I sure would like to see a photo of all the spinning wheels together - they are all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely in the Seaweed. I love that colorway for somereason. It looks more blue/green than the seaweed I have...must be the dye batch it came from was different than mine. Very nice work. One more to go! Woo Hoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes think we must be connected...my latest thread on my shuttles is seaweed too. It doesn't look quite the same colour, but I find that my scanner is not very good with colour, and maybe yours too?
    Sorry for the sinuses, I know how painful they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Yarnplayer! I will take a picture of them all together when they're finished. After I finish my Christmas Spinning Wheels, I want to tat doilies to line the drawers and trays of my shuttle chests. I think I'll be on a doily roll for a while!

    I love the Seaweed too, Tattinchic. I know that dye batches can make a tremendous difference. This one suited me perfectly!

    Thank you, Snowy! This is the third time this year that one of my tatting friends has been using the same color as me at the same time! What fun! As for the scanner color, my new scanner is much better with color than the old one was, but the color is off a little. I'll keep on scanning, though... my scans still look better than my photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog! :)

    This spinning wheel mat is gorgeous, btw - I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I seem to be losing count of the spinning wheels and they all look so great no matter what color you tat them in. But I like the seaweed, that’s my fav color.

    Congrats! I know how painful crochet can get, am currently doing a baby blanket myself, but the Baby shower of my friend is next week - and I don’t think it'll be ready by then... sigh!

    Please oh please post pics of the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful piece! Sherry's colors are all so amazing!

    I share your weather related sinus headache problem. I hope you're feeling much better now. Have you ever tried to explain that to a doctor and have them look at you like you've lost your mind? LOL My current neurologist acknowledges that that IS a cause for migraine and sinus pain :)

    Alice in Wonderland must be the play du jour for middle schools. My niece in Oklahoma played the Cheshire Cat a couple of weekends ago. I am eagerly awaiting my DVD of the play :)

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!