Saturday, May 9, 2009

True confessions


Bobbin lace has been on hold for two weeks now. Why? I was reading and re-reading the directions for the half-stitch and not understanding. I really wanted to move on to the next bookworm in Beginner's Guide to Bobbin Lace by Gilian Dye and Adrienne Thunder, but the directions just didn't make sense to me! So, I turned to Introduction to Bobbin Lacemaking by Rosemary Shepherd. Instant success, right? WRONG! I was still getting lost in the idea of how to work the half-stitch. Finally, I decided to set up Shepherd's "The First Sampler." I completed the first section of Cloth Stitch. It wasn't nice and flat, so I know I need to work on my tension. Again, I read the directions for Half-Stitch... baffled!


This morning I decided to just take the plunge and blindly follow the directions. I just watched the pattern as it developed, and guess what? I finally understand the half-stitch! It's not pretty, but it's done! Now... on to the next section of the sampler!

9 comments:

  1. I am proud of you for sticking to it! It is frustrating when you just don't "get it"! I remember that from when I was trying to learn to tat... and then finally, tadah!!
    Good on you!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa!! All that lace stuff looks exceptionally SCARY to me! Good for you! : ) Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and Well Done!! The half stitch is very tricky, but once you understand how the threads work together it is a piece of cake :) That aha! moment is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea what it is that you are talking about but good for you for continuing to learn something new! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, sometimes it is best just to take the plunge. I had that with my half-stitch heart, but by the time I got back to the top it was much better. :)
    I think it's quite scary to lose your matching bobbins, for me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard about this kind of work - had the wrong kind of bobbins in my mind! May it all come together for you.

    Enjoyed your visit this morning. I love the variety in your blog and will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for keeping at it. There are too many needles, sticks or whaever they're called for me to deal with. It took me forever to knit cuz I'm so uncoordianted. More than 2 needles is way too much for me. Good luck and have fun. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally don't like doing half stitch but it is a necessary evil:-)

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!