Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Dad's box loom

With everything back to "normal" yesterday, and my new interest in weaving bands, I decided to clean up Dad's box loom.


Mom and I were talking yesterday, trying to remember how long ago Dad made this loom. Dad's been gone for ten years, so I'm guessing it might be 20 years ago.

Haha! I just noticed the can of Pledge in the background, proof that I did a little cleaning yesterday, the key word being little!


I watched several YouTube videos on band weaving and box looms yesterday morning, just to make sure I had a good understanding of what I was trying to achieve.


The result was a pretty little 16" length of band. I learned quite a bit from weaving this piece. I now know how to watch for unwanted floats. There's quite a bit of shrinkage when weaving a warp faced band, and now I have a better idea of how to measure my warp to get the length I want in a finished piece.

I didn't follow a pattern, instead I just warped the loom in a way that pleased me. Believe it or not, that helped me understand written patterns better! It didn't take long before I realized I would like more black in the center to set off the blue. I guess there's always a surprise in weaving!

It's going to take me a while to develop an even tension, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. After all, this is only my second band! Sophia's band looked very pretty, but I did it all wrong. I didn't pull the weft threads snugly, so the warp pattern didn't show. Now I know!


I have long admired the beautiful tatting on Lilas Lace, so when Lilas published her first book, I just had to have it!


When I ordered the book, I asked if I could have it autographed. Imagine my surprise when I read that Lilas has been following my blog for years!

This really is a lovely book, written in French and English. There are doilies, collars, earrings, necklaces, bracelets... all beautifully illustrated, with explanations of the techniques introduced. I am very pleased with my purchase!


Over the weekend, I forgot to post a picture of my beautiful blue shuttles from Rita Richmond of Shuttle by Design. I know I've said it before... I LOVE Rita's shuttles! They are light weight, beautifully decorated, hold a ton of thread, and are a joy to use.

Rita makes her own wood and acrylic shuttles, and she also decorates Moonlit shuttles for those who like hooks. I like the Moonlit shuttles for tatting on the go. I don't have to worry about dropping a crochet hook. However, the shuttles that Rita makes are simply marvelous!


They're so marvelous, that when I saw these cheerful yellow ones, I ordered them as well! ๐Ÿ˜Š


Yes, I did have a fun-filled day, and I even managed to tat another Ice Drop! I wonder what today will bring?

11 comments:

  1. Wow the was a very good read and I learned lots and love the pictures and colors you have chosen again for the ice drops hope your Easter was a wonderful day ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ˜„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I hope you had a wonderful Easter with your family!

      Delete
  2. Que post tan bonito. No se que me ha gustado mรกs, si el telar , si el libro, si las lanzaderas, ¡que me encantan!,las amarillas maravillosas y divertidas......... en fin todos tus trabajos Diane. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this entry is packed with interesting things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never a dull moment! Your weaving is looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you get 2 comments, I apologize. I've enjoyed seeing the box loom in action -- personally, I've never heard of one before. As for Lila - I've seen her things on etsy, didn't realize there was a book! And look at your new shuttles! How pretty! They are marvelous to use. yes, tried the acrylic with my ice drop. (my first) I have the ice drop part tatted, have not decided on the 'hanger' yet - tatted, or sew in ends and add ribbon. I like to add the charms, too (made w/love). thx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh you had a busy day, never seen a weaving loom like that before, I look forward to hearing more about it.
    So nice to know you did polish, I had a laugh because it's the same polish as I use here in the uk
    I saw those beautiful shuttles and I knew you would be buying some, I did price them up into pounds sterling, and had a groan from hubby, I also saw those beautiful yellow ones too.
    Beautiful ice drop.
    I wonder what today wil bring more weaving or tatting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Past, present, and future memories woven into this post ! Thoroughly enjoyed it all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, absolutely, your blog has been on my readlist for a very long time, so I'm all the more glad if you like my book. :D
    These shuttles are beautiful, it's going to be nice to tat with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your band and the colors you used!! :)
    And those shuttles are awesome!!! Of course, like you, I love the blue, but I would have trouble resisting those yellow also! :)

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!